Physical Education

Meet The Curriculum Area

  • Miss C Robbins - PE Teacher
  • Mr N Tromans - Head of Neon House
  • Miss J Edgington - Head of Argon House

What Will We Learn?

In Key Stage 3 the following activities are undertaken: badminton, gymnastics, dance, netball, football, hockey, basketball, rugby, handball, athletics, cricket, rounders and tennis. Table tennis, dodgeball, volleyball, health and fitness.

In Key Stage 4 the activities that can be chosen by students include: dance, basketball, football, netball, badminton, boxercise, aerobics, weight training, hockey, softball, rounders and tennis. Ultimate frisbee and fitness training

Key Stage 3

Year 7

During Year 7 students in PE will be studying the principles of warm-up and safe practice.  They will also undertake development of their skills of analysis and tactical awareness.

Skills

The skills we will be using and practising include core movement skills of control, balance, co-ordination and body awareness.  These will be practised alongside the basic skills for a variety of sports and activities from field games, net games, striking games, dance, gym and athletics.

Assessment

Students will be assessed by continuous assessment using National Curriculum criteria to establish a level of performance.  Their future progress will be monitored against this level of performance.  Students also undertake self assessment tasks. We wil use the mastery statements and grids to assess

Year 8
During Year 8 students in PE will be further developing their analytical skills and their knowledge of different tactics in team sports.

Skills

The skills they will be using and practising include consolidating the different skills required for each sport.  They will also focus on improving weaker personal sports skills.

Assessment

Students will be assessed by continuous assessment using National Curriculum criteria to establish a level of performance.  Students will be guided towards the next steps required to improve their level of performance. We will use the mastery statements to also assess.

Year 9

During Year 9 students in PE will be studying advanced tactical skills as well as using their analytical skills to guide learning and developing strengths.  Students should now have a good level of understanding of the rules for each activity.

Skills

The skills we will be using and practising include the ability to practise independently and to work towards using advanced individual skills.  A more thorough knowledge of the procedures, set-play and tactical moves are studied.

Assessment

Students will be assessed by continuous assessment against National Curriculum criteria.  Students are encouraged to analyse their performance and set goals for improvement.

Key Stage 4

Compulsory Physical Education

During Years 10 and 11 students in PE will be able to study and develop their knowledge and understanding of previously experienced activities as well as having the opportunity to undertake new sports.  Emphasis is placed on developing lifelong skills.  One focus is on fitness with students opting into a fitness based activity.

Skills

The skills we will be using and practising are linked to previously learnt skills and students will be given the opportunity to develop these to a high level.  New skills from new activities can also be undertaken.

Assessment

Students will be assessed on their performance in the activity undertaken.

GCSE Physical Education

Students follow the Edexcel GCSE PE syllabus which consists of 40% practical work (Students undertake 4 activities and are given a grade for both coursework and through a practical examination). The other 60% of the course is theoretical and students are examined through a written paper.

Parent and Carers can support students by:

  • Reinforcing the need to bring correct kit to each lesson - even if not taking part due to illness or injury.
  • Explaining the benefits of physical exercise and the need to live a healthy and active lifestyle.
  • Encouraging students to be involved in extra-curricular and House activities.

\\ Connect

\\ Contact Us

The Kingswinford School
Water Street
Dudley
West Midlands
DY6 7AD

Tel: 01384 296596